Makerspace FAQ, English
Here are answers to some of the most common questions we get.
Läs denna sida på svenska: Makerspace FAQ.
- 1 Contact Stockholm Makerspace
- 2 Visit Stockholm Makerspace
- 3 Become a member
- 4 The space and its equipment
- 5 Workshops & Activities
- 6 Sponsoring
- 7 Advertising
Contact Stockholm Makerspace
Before contacting us to ask a question, we would like you to look in the FAQ below, where we have listed the most frequently asked questions and the corresponding answers.
Questions to the board
Stockholm Makerspace operates on a volunteer basis, meaning that the association has no employees and we do everything in our spare time. Therefore, it may sometimes take some time for us to respond to various requests.
This also means that we DO NOT take questions by phone.
You can reach the Board directly via email [email protected]. We prefer email contact because the Board jointly manages our email.
If you have questions that are not addressed specifically to the board, but that might just as well be answered by other members, then we recommend that you ask the question in our Facebook group.
We also have a Slack.
Visit Stockholm Makerspace
- When is the next open house?
We organize a large open house about 2 times a year where we show the premises to the public, otherwise we have no regular open houses.
If you are interested in becoming a member and want to look at the venue, you are welcome to come by on, for example, a work evening ("arbetskväll") (see the calendar), to take a look at the venue and talk to those whoever is there.
When you get here, our entrance is the door on the short side of the building. There's a doorbell with out logo that rings down in our space.
- I want to see if Stockholm Makerspace is a good place to work on my project. When can I come see the rooms?
See the above question about the open house.
Study visits / field trips
- We are a company / organization who would like to visit the Stockholm Makerspace.
A study visit for 1-25 people includes an introduction of Stockholm Makerspace and the maker movement (around 30-40 minutes), a tour of the space and time for questions, in all about 1.5-2 hours and costs 5,000 SEK. If that sounds interesting to you, please contact the Board at [email protected]. Of course, we can customize the theme of your visit to suit your interests. Stockholm Makerspace has no employees, we run the entire association on a volunteer basis and get many requests. It is therefore not certain that we are able to receive your study visits at the time you wish, but we are happy to discuss your times.
- We want to start a Makerspace in our town. We would like to come by to talk and share our experiences?
As we are a grassroots movement that run on a voluntary basis, we give priority to support other non-profit initiatives. We know how difficult it is to run a Makerspace from scratch without support and we would therefore like to help others in the same situation.
Initiatives with financial backing who want to learn from us may book study visits as above. This includes municipal and county-funded operations.
Become a member
- How do I get started making stuff at the Stockholm Makerspace?
Does it feel like Stockholm Makerspace is the place you want to create your projects as well as meet other friendly makers? Are you at least 16 years old? In that case, we recommend the following:
- The quick guide:
- Buy a "startpaket" which gives you a nice rebated year membership and 2 months of lab membership.
- Come by the space to get your access key at a "nyckelutlämning" (see the calendar) which gives you 24/7 access to the space.
- Visit a 'Just Make It' event, attend a workshop, or just come by to get to know other makers and/or to start working on your dream project!
- If you use Facebook, we also have an active meembers group you can participate in. This group is usually the most up to date with news and events.
- Read the wiki page for Machines and Inventory (Maskiner och inventarier), to see what equipment we have and sometimes even how to use things in the space.
How much does it cost?
Everyone pays a membership fee of 200 SEK per year. As a member of the association, you receive email newsletters and have voting rights at annual meetings. You also get the opportunity to participate in the workshops and courses we arrange as well as the opportunity to become a lab member.
As a member without lab access, you have no access to use the venue in except during arranged workshops and courses.
If you are a member and want access to the venue, you have the opportunity to become a lab member by paying a lab fee of 300 SEK per 30 days of lab access.
As a lab member you have your own key, the ability to use all machines, and to possibility to store your projects at the Makerspace (note- space is limited, see the "Storage" section below).
- Is there an age restriction to be a lab member?
You can be a lab member as soon as you are 16 years old.
- Can I take my kids to the Makerspace, do they need their own lab membership?
Kids under 16 don't need their own lab membership. They shall always be supervised by a parent/guardian when they are at the Makerspace. As their parent/guardian you are responsible for their actions and making sure they don't injure themselves, others, or any equipment.
Kids 16 and over should have their own lab membership to be at the Makerspace and work on their projects.
- As a lab member, I can bring a friend to the space?
You can bring a friend as a guest a few times to show them the venue, but if your friend is there with you to work on a project then they will also need to have an active lab membership. You are 100% responsible for the guests you bring in to the space.
- Is there room for more lab members? Is there a waiting list for membership?
There is definitely room for more lab members! We think that too many active lab members is a luxury issue that should be solved by the association expanding its premises and resources.
On a visit, it may look a bit crowded in the labyrinth of shelves, but there are plans to expand it considerably to bring in hundreds of boxes.
- I have paid for multiple lab months. When does the access time of my keys get re-activated or extended?
Lab key access times are extended or activated at special events called nyckelutlämningar. See when the nect one is on the calendar.
- I want to be a lab member. Is there any opportunity to get my key before the next "nyckelutlämning"?
No, we only have access to the key system at specific times, as we share systems with the rest of the house and we have to request access to the necessary equipment in advance. Therefore, please refer to the scheduled key releases.
- When is the next "nyckelutlämning"?
See the calendar. That is how we communicate all "nyckelutlämning" dates.
- I don't see any "nyckelutlämning" on the calendar?
Then there aren't any on the schedule just now, and we won't be able to tell you when the next one is. Check back in a few days, we'll try to get them organized again soon.
Companies & services
- Can my company / organization become a member and manufacture our prototypes at Stockholm Makerspace?
No, we only accept private individuals as members, and manufacturing for commercial purposes is not allowed at the Stockholm Makerspace. We recommend that you instead make contact with, for example, ToolSpace or Prototal.
- Can my company come to Stockholm Makerspace for inspiration?
See the section on study visits above.
- I have a problem with X, can you fix it / Can I pay someone to do service X / Can you make a prototype for me?
If you want someone else to do something for you, then it's probably not a service that Stockholm Makerspace offers. Our organization is based on becoming a member and doing things for yourself. We do not have any employees and are not here to be paid for any expertise.
The space and its equipment
- When is the space open?
For lab members the venue is always open. You get your own key and can come and go as you like while you have an active lab membership.
For others, see the Open house section above.
Machines & tools
- Are there staff in place who will teach how to use the machines?
No, Stockholm Maker Space is a non-profit organization with no employees. You are responsible for learning how to use the equipment properly. Our members are mostly very friendly and helpful, so if you are nice, curious and ask, it can usually be resolved. :)
- Can I use all of the machines without any special training?
There are some machines that require you to attend an intro course / workshop to use, for example our laserskärare. If training is required it will say on the machine's wiki page. These courses/workshops are announced on our calendar and in our Facebook group. If you do not see any listings there, there's nothing scheduled in the near future so just wait and see when they're advertised. Please note that these workshops always require that you sign up in advance.
- How does the booking of equipment work?
For most machines it's "first come first served" but please share with others in a fair way, there's no form of advance booking.
There are a few exceptions to this, for example the Laserskäraren, which requires that you book time in advance. In such cases, this is stated on the equipment's wiki page.
- How does it work with consumable supplies?
The basic rule is that all consumable supplies are your own responsibility to acquire and bring with you. This applies to everything from wood to cut, to filament to use in 3D printers, to metal to use in the mill.
Then there are some rooms where we have arranged that the organization has purchased materials that are available for sale in the space at cost. This is especially true of materials that are popular to use but difficult to purchase in smaller quantities or as individuals, such as metal for milling / turning, interior-glued plywood for laser cutting, textile transfer paper for printing on clothes, etc. These materials are available in the various rooms and you pay for what you take via our web shop.
- What happens if I break machine X while I'm using it?
Unless it can be seen as a normal wear and tear, you will be responsible for repairs of any damage caused by improper use or negligence.
- Do you have machine/tool X?
- Can I borrow tool X?
We do not lend tools, but you can become a member and use the tools here at the space.
- How does it work with storage of projects and the like between visits to the space?
All members with an active lab membership may store a so-called "lab bin" ("labblåda") on the shelves in the corridor. Use a plastic bin of SmartStore Classic 31 or SmartStore Home 31. You buy it yourself and they are sold on, among other places, at Clas Ohlson and Jysk. Please note that only these models are applicable. It's much easier to pack efficiently if everyone's boxes are the same size. Mark your lab bin with your name and membership number. (Here's an example label for your box/labblåda: Labblåda skylt / Lab box label.
If you intend to take a break and not be an active lab member for more than a month, you should take home your lab bin. If you leave it at the space for more than 45 days after your lab membership has expired, the box and its contents will become property of the Makerspace.
- My project is much bigger than a lab bin, can I keep it at the space anyway?
All our larger rooms are used, but the storage opportunities are quite compact despite our space's size of 300 m2. If your large project can be placed in a room in a way that does not get in the way, and if it is well marked with your name, membership number and phone number, it may be stored for a shorter period of time only (one week or so).
Projects that are not marked, are in the way, or are stored for a long time will definitely be thrown away.
- Can I get help with X for my project?
There is no one at the space just to help you, but if you talk to other lab members at the space or ask a question in our Facebook group there may well be another member who can help you get started so you can do it yourself.
- Can I bring my pet to the Makerspace?
No, it is forbidden to bring dogs or other animals to Stockholm Makerspace's premises. The exception to this is a certified assistant dog in service.
Workshops & Activities
Workshops and courses
- Can you hold a course in X?
Courses and workshops at Stockholm Makerspace are based on the fact that one of our members wants to lead it. The board has no ability to "ensure" that a workshop / course will be held. It is up to our completely non-profit course leaders to decide themselves to host course X and when they want to do it.
- When is the next intro course/workshop for X?
If there is no workshop you want just now, keep watching the Facebook group and/or the calendar to see the next time. Some workshops are booked very quickly!
- When is it possible to hold the next introductory course / workshop in X?
See the above answer.
I want to lead a workshop
- I want to arrange a workshop / course about X
Awesome! Read more about that on the Workshops page.
- Do you have any activities for children?
Stockholm Makerspace has no activities for children at this time.
- My company is interested in sponsoring the Stockholm Makerspace, how do we get started?
Great! Send an email to [email protected] and we'll continue the discussion from there.
- Hello, I want to promote our product / course / competition / event. Can you spread this on your network?
We want to avoid spreading too many things in our networks and so it will cost something to reach our members in this way. If you are interested, you can buy an advertising space in any of our channels. Contact us at [email protected].